Friday, June 29, 2012

Noun Count—Things


Things, our third form of noun, are the most obvious complexity boosters. Most of us know by now that we donʼt own things; they own us! They dictate what we do. From toaster ovens, CDs, and cars…to porch furniture, old skis, and new shoes, each item must be acquired, moved,maintained, thrown away, gifted, stored or sold, and, often, used from time to time. And I have found one thing tends to attract others, like a magnet attracts paper clips. There is a multiplier effect. If I buy a bike, soon I need all the gear that bikers accumulate. A new dress or suit requires a new set of accessories. At some point, closets overflow, bookshelves are crowded, attics are filled. A garage sale is required, or a storage unit somewhere. Meanwhile our hours melt into days, weeks, months, years. 

Do we need things? Sure, some. Same with friends and places. But for the sincere, simplicity seeker, pruning these three is fundamental. Try trimming your personal noun count and see if you are comfortable with the additional sunlight.


scb

3 comments:

  1. Things keep disappearing, whether or not we intend it, especially with the advancing years, when even the body parts stop functioning. What is left if one is fortunate is memory of people, or present relationships source of love and meaning when all else had departed or is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm sentiments, AFA. I would add that I am finding that sickness--in one or his or her spouse--accelerates the aging process. I hardly know anyone over 75 who hasn't been through "it" or is in "it" currently, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has reinvigorated me to clean out some more of my "nouns." Spent the weekend going through hundreds of books and other items and making donations to charity. As my sister reminds me, "Stuff equals stress."

    ReplyDelete